Contact us: 0118 391 3871
Huelva, the most western Andalusian capital, lived intense commercial exchange flows with other eastern Mediterranean ports. Centuries after that, it became base for Phoenicians, Carthaginians and Romans, though these last were the ones who started exploiting the Huelva's huge mineral resources, an activity that has continued throughout centuries. The Arabs' arrival to Huelva during the year 713 meant a new stage for the city, which started, being named Welba. But perhaps the historical event, which without a doubt has marked people in Huelva the most, is America's discovery, for in 1492 Christopher Columbus parted from these lands his first journey to the New World.
One of the most important religious buildings in Huelva is La Merced's Cathedral, an 18th century construction. Behind its splendid facade hides an ensemble of chapels and altarpieces of baroque style, plus housing the Niebla counts pantheon. In the oldest part of Huelva's urban quarter is San Pedro's church. This temple was built in the 16th century in a Gothic-Mudejar style above the remaining of an old mosque. Plaza de las Monjas stands right in the middle of the old quarter's heart. Next to it are typical streets and plazas like Alcalde Coto Mora.